Monday, 24 May 2010
Artist statement: Kati Saqui 2010
conceptual autobiographical
My work; I am driven to create things imperfect, impermanent, irregular, incomplete and unconventional. I use this work to calculate where I am in the world internally. And has always been autobiographical, self medicating and experimental.
To satisfy my creative needs I use my personal connection with anxiety, isolation, turmoil and transformation, and in turn these become re-occurring themes in my work and also reinforces what I need to overcome in the world. My Influences are Louise Bourgeois, Doris Salcedo, Mona Hatoum, Joseph Beuys, Eva Hesse and Anna Maria Maiolino, Barbara Krugar.
My Philosophical approach is turning a disadvantage into an advantage and this fuels my creativity. My work is informed by the following artists, theorists and ideologies; Guy Debord and the Situationists, Wabi Sabi, Capitalism, Existentialism These all correlate to my work by a strong link in my own visual language and the message I’m trying to convey. I often use images of chairs and actual chairs as metaphors for humans.
Methodology and process; Particular emotive states consume me until I manifest these into psychical forms that produces artwork. I write how I feel for clarification, this then dictates what medium I use and the outcome I desire. My constant analysis throughout this process often causes a multi faceted-layered body of work.
Unlike seamless, polished, smooth modernism, the Form and Medium of my work is imperfect and variegated keeping a fragile aesthetic ideology alive, and maintaining my visual language.
3D pieces are made from soil, latex, paper, human hair, roofing nails, text on paper and linen, presented in repurposed wooden boxes or caravan. 2D work is screen printed, photographic cyanoytpe and oil on canvas.
Mediums have become my subject, drawing tool and distraction.
Context
Public space, book art, temporary site specific, salon and gallery. For The contemporary art world, art collectors, and the general visual art audience.